John’s Famous Stew
During the late 1800’s in Macedonia, an old woman by the name of Mother Dapa Strangeff cooked stew for her nine children and the fieldhands on her family farm. She cooked the stew in iron kettles on wood-burning stoves. She lived to be 99 years old. Her two sons settled in Indianapolis in 1911. They started a restaurant at 535 West Washington Street, featuring their mother’s stew. After World War II, nephew John moved the business to 411 East South Street, gaining a reputation reowned. Today, we are continuing John’s tradition at 1146 Kentucky Avenue, and are still using the same age-old recipe used by Mother Stangeff in the old country.